Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Feel Good Books

I recently had a long discussion on a certain category of books with a friend and then another friend said that Its been too long I have not updated this blog for such a long time. So I realized I should write about the very books. All the women and also all the men would know them. Few love them, few hate them....yet a majority of people have read them. I am talking about the notorious MILLS&BOONS.

They are generally the same. One is very rich, the other not so...both of them are gorgeous, there is always a disagreement between the two before they finally confess their love and live happily ever after. Yet you have to admit...they carry their own charm. To young gang of girls, who highlight certain stanzas and keep giggling as they make their friends read, they are the stepping stone to adolescence. To the young boys, a sneer and a chortle. To those girls with beady eyes it is a dream.

The books would always make you...happy. Whether you laugh with derision, or mockingly or with happiness when they finally say I love you...it brings a smile to your face.

I started reading them in 9th standard and as I was recounting to this friend....man it was such a huge scene at school!. "Kanika reads MB's," they used to whisper and then say out loud. But they never really embarassed me. They were...well just another set of short stories.

188 standard pages. That is the length of a M&B.

I have graduated to a wide variety of books post my MB days. Yet even today...when i have nothing better to do I like reading them. Not for any other reason than to smile after one and a half hours when I would finish the book and keep it away. To all the women (though hardly anyone visits this page!!!!) who are reading and remembering their MB days (such a weird phrase yet it is apt!), pick one up again. It would be nice to feel like a 'little woman' again! And to all the men...

You can smile. For all of you in your teens would have seen a friend reading the books and laughed. Then somewhere in a small corner of your house read the book...

Own up guys...

9 Comments:

Blogger Subhadip said...

MF.
Let me own up first too: I was in class nine, and one of my friend used to read M&B as seriously as she read history books. I borrowed a M&B from her and read it - my first and very last.

2:01 AM  
Blogger Kanika said...

@ subhadip

GLAD... and I can just imagine your wide silly smile when you read the post....

2:10 AM  
Blogger ~ Deeps ~ said...

i have just heard a lot abt them, read 2 pages and left it....never touched them after that.....but i know wat u have written abt them.....practically all gals were into it.............

10:49 AM  
Blogger Kanika said...

@ deeps

Left after two pages!!!!

Hmmm...I wonder which two pages you read!!!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Banvri said...

I still have 2 M&B in my bookshelf and i love reading them when i just wanted to float in cindrella world :D

I seriously love the plot of M&B ..frst disagreement then love ..totaly filmy ..but they vary with the description ..I even rem one book "Deception point " ..:)

8:52 PM  
Blogger sridhar said...

i stumbled on to your blog when i was doing some search on Jane austen and then came to know u r one of those Chitrangada's fans...

Coming to Mills and Boons...i cannot stop myself from saying tht they fall into cheesy romantic flick genre.

If u r really into books read Richard Bach's Bridge across foreever or Paulo Cohelo's Zahir...

These dont fall into the genre of M&B books but they nevertheless present a more intutive perspective on romance and its relationship with our life...

11:57 AM  
Blogger Kanika said...

@ chitrangada

Well...welcome aboard. Can't agree more with you here. Nice fun I say. And yes I do recall this one M&B....the temptation series. Was called, A VALENTINE WISH...and its sequel...A WISH FOR LOVE. AND OFCOURSE THE FIRST EVER MB...The Devil's Advocate.
(Blushes)

@ sakshi

I never said that MB deals well with love or relationship. Yes they are cheesy...run of the mill...true. Yet for an hour and half worth of smile!!! WOrth it.

I am also a big fan of Paulo Cohelo...havent read Zahir as yet but relationships....ELEVENT MINUTES....awesome book. Try it out. judging by ur comments....u might find it intriguing!

12:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i think i have read more than 2 pages... i have in fact read 2 full M&B novels and they were good. Dunno remember the names. But they were there in my dad's bookshelf. It took me sometime to get the interest developed but it happens while reading any book.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Kanika said...

@ aseem

Now that's something..your dad's bookshelf?

Well...it sure does take some time.

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home