Monday, August 21, 2006

Pride and Prejudice...the perfect book

People love Pride and Prejudice. And all for good reason. I...love it for more than one. For many the simple writing style does the trick, and then the perfect end of a long drawn love affair. I guess for me the best part about the book is the inscrutable Mrs. Bennet and not to forget the incorrigible Mr. Bennett. They are simply awesome and Mr. Bennett's derision of his wife and life in general is worth reading over and over again.

I was very young when I read the book for the first time and ever since then i guess I have read the book for a record thirteen times. I also own the 6 episode sries of the BBS's picturization of the same novel and have watched the whole series for a total of 10 times atleast (including the 3 times it was telecasted on Star Movies while i was still in school.)

Now that I have described my ardent love for the book I guess I need to talk about the major disappointment. The latest movie made starring Keira Knightly was a felony of the biggest order. How could they do that? For once it does not even have a britisj accent. Then the characters are portrayed rather ill and my two favorite characters, Mrs. and Mr. Bennett are reduced to nothing. Just stupid old people who have no character whatsoever. The screen play is awful and the picturization makes it an object of contempt.

Shameless Odious people...

2 Comments:

Blogger ~ Deeps ~ said...

one of best books written.....and one of the worst movie made out of it........peripheral but strong and imp characters like bennett couple are lost in grand scheme of movies........thats why a movie can never compensate for the book.........

read it 2 times only but its too good a book to resist another read.....

11:53 PM  
Blogger Kanika said...

@ deepak

well I am glad you share my take on the movie. I never realized you too were fond of the bennett couple...they are amazing aren't day. Have you watched the 6 part BBc'stake of the book. It is not precise but one of the best attemps at making a movie out of a book. Ot could never get any better.

4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home